Bright Red Hair - How To And Upkeep | Matti May Hardie

by - 2:11 PM

Hey all,
Hows you?

I've had a duvet day today. I'm not really sure why it was necessary but it was, very much so, so I put my duvet on the sofa, made myself a coffee and got some ice cream (Ben and Jerry's are all I need in life, I've decided) and had Milo lying on my feet (he, also, wasn't feeling too good - my poor baby boy has been poorly this week and he hasn't quite gotten over it!).
Now don't ask me why, but I started watching loads of hair dye videos, notably Zoe London's videos on how she dyes her hair blue (mint, turquoisy blue is still the dream, though I think I'm going to have to work up to it!) and I had a sudden rush of inspiration to do a post to talk about how I got my hair this colour, and then how I maintain it.


(Excuse the roots)

First of all, the dying. My natural hair colour is auburn/red so there was no need to dye it since I was going darker and, in case you're confused and wondering why the hell that is, it's because you only need to bleach if you're going lighter. (I know it doesn't look darker but technically the dye was darker than my natural colour - ask your hairdresser if you're unsure. I could explain it but I think I'll save that for another post!).

I used the dye that was from the stock at school (my school only use L'Oreal products). I used L'Oreal Professional "Inoa" hair dye in the colour 6,66. There's no special technique to apply it, just like a regular colour.

The very first time I did it, it was a much more vibrant and almost pinky red. I suspect that's because my teacher put a bit too much oxident into it, or perhaps it's because it was the first time. though it will probably forever be a mystery as I have no way of testing it out again.

If you're an old-hand at at-home hair dyes, you'll know that the water is supposed to run clear before you can do the shampoo - that's not the case here. For the first few shampoos after the initial dye, the suds and water will be a candy pink colour. That's normal. Just rince out until you think it's properly rinced out - it's up to you to be the judge though it may be an idea to ask someone to give you a hand rincing it out. I tend to use the Elseve "Color-Vive" shampoo since it's one of the few shampoos that I'm not allergic to.

I'd recommend doing a deep condition after the first two initial shampoos, to make sure your hair is the best condition it possibly can be. I'd recommend Le Petit Marseillais "Masque Nutrition Intense" - not only does it last ages, but it also makes my hair feel impossibly soft (which is always a bonus).

And there we have it! I really enjoyed writing this post, I'll be sure to do another one next time I change my hair colour - especially since the next colour on the list is light purple, that means there's going to be some bleaching involved.

I'm running a bit dry for blog posts at the mo so if anyone has any requests feel free to let me know down in the comments or on my social media!

Aller Kiss,
Matti x

You May Also Like

0 comments