The Breakfasts Of Kings (And Students)

by - 3:01 PM



I'm trying my hand at showing you guys recipes since I've been getting a lot more into cooking (oh hey boyfriend who can make pasta and only pasta) and god I love food, yet breakfast is a mystery I'm have yet to crack since for me it's still pretty much toast and cereal. In any case these two 'recipes' are ridiculously easy given that I'm not going to be making a 4 course meal at 7am. I want easy and quick, and these two take roughly under ten minutes to make.

I swear, if I were at home all week, this is what I'd make for breakfast EVERY. DAMN. MORNING. It's filling, but not heavy, but I can eat this at 7am and I'm not hungry until about 11 or 12am, which is impressive because normally if I have just toast then I'll be hungry by 10.

So the first one I'm going to show you is my personal favorite, the breakfast quesadilla of dreams. I'm going to show you guys what I put in it because I feel it's easier said than done to get the right ingredients to make sure they all compliment each other right.

Then I'm going to be showing you my fool-proof technique of how to make poached eggs so they're just right (because to be honest I wouldn't be capable of making poached eggs the normal way). It's really easy and if I can do it then so can you.

Quesadilla


For the quesadilla you will need:

  • 1 wrap
  • 1 egg
  • 1 slice of cold cut meat (I like roast turkey or ham)
  • Cheese 
  • Mayonaise
  • Sriracha or salsa (or tomatoe based sauce though avoid ketchup, with or without spice)
I know that sriracha and mayo may sound like a pretty unusual combo but I think the two paired go really nicely. Also for the meat, you don't have to if you want to make a veggie option (I didn't include a vegan option because as much as I want to be inclusive I couldn't quite figure out how to make it vegan but I'm going to work on some vegan-friendly stuff)


It's ridiculously basic but all you need to do is to fry the egg and the meat, then put on the mayonaise, the egg, meat, cheese and then sriracha. Knowing myself I'd probably add more mayo on top after but each to their own. Also add salt and pepper which I totally forgot, though if you forget it I don't personally think it's the end of the world.

You then fry in a pan that's been lightly lubricated with coconut oil and fry. I like mine to be nice and crispy so I let it burn slightly but since everything has already been cooked it's not really a big deal.


It takes about 10 minutes tops with all the prep and even though it's not necessarily the healthiest thing in the world it's so tasty and really quick. However I'd avoid anything too liquidy because it can make the wrap soggy which is no fun for anyone. You can mix up the ingredients and put anything you like which I find great as you can just dig around in your fridge and use any leftovers.

Poached Eggs on Toast

I'm aware that this is an incredibly Pinterest breakfast, but yanno, it tastes good and takes about 20 seconds to make.


For the poached eggs you will need:
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 pieces of bread
  • Salt and pepper
  • Paprika
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Olive oil
You take some cling film, spread some olive oil on it, crack the egg on it, then add salt, pepper, paprika and a little bit of cayenne pepper. Make a little package out of the cling film and secure with a clip. Boil some water in a pan and once it's boiling turn it down a smidge and pop your package in. Leave for 4 to 5 minutes (I'm a bit funny with eggs so I prefer 5 minutes) then take it. Toast the bread while the eggs are cooking. Then just put them on the toast and there you have it! Ridiculously easy poached eggs. 

I like adding the paprika and cayenne pepper because I feel like it adds a little bit of oomf to the eggs which I feel like they can be fairly dull otherwise.

If you don't have any cling film to hand, you can use a small-ish sized ziplock bag, you can do both at once (which is what I'm doing today).

If you guys would like to see more food-related posts let me know as I quite enjoyed making this once!

M x

You May Also Like

0 comments