Changing | Matti May Hardie

by - 12:33 AM

Hey all, how's you?


I've been thinking lately about how people change, and how things change. Mainly because I feel that over the past year or two, my music tastes have changed drastically. For example, when I was 12, I would love to jam to some Eric Clapton, Beatles or Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, because that was what my parents were listening to, and my parents were my main influence at that age.But even though those 3 artists were and are still some of my biggest inspirations in the music industry, when I was 13, I much preferred Techno, Electro and Pop. Mainstream stuff, because that's what my best friend and most of her close relatives (her, her brother and brother in law, her sister, etc...) listened to, and I spent most of my time with her, so it became mainly what I listened to aswell.

Then, recently, like, in the past 4 or 5 months, I've started (finally), finding my own style. I spent a lot of time this summer alone in my flat and that meant that I only listened to the music I wanted to, nothing that anyone else wanted to listen to. I call this my "selfish" period in my music taste finding. I was the only one who decided what I listened to. Of course, sometimes I'd flick through the music channels on TV, but we don't have many so I couldn't really watch much. Mainly, I found my tastes through Youtube. I've only very recently realized that I really enjoyed Ed Sheeran type music. Ed Sheeran has become one of those people that I really look up to in the music industry for various reasons. 

I feel like my change in music tastes have changed at the same time as my personality and character have changed. When I was a goody-goody-two-shoes back when I was 12, I listened to the music my parents like and deemed good songs. I swear I had nearly no modern music on my iPod when I first got it. Next, when I was in my kind of separative stages from my parents, when I learned that I could have opinions that differed from their's, I listened to the complete opposite of what they deemed "good music". Now, when I'm finally getting a grasp on who I am as a person and a musician, I feel like my music is varied, like my opinions. If I now scroll at random and choose a song in my iPod, I have as much chance of falling on an old hip-hop/rap song as I do to fall on an Ed Sheeran song, or even a song by Doddleoddle or Tom Law. My tastes in music have broadened and been moulded, and I've only recently realized that a lot of the music that I listened to when I was 12 have made their way into my tastes now. I mean, I'll now happily jam to a Beatles song, then swiftly moving onto an Eminem rap. 

I think I like that. But it's been a hard path to carve. I have a saying, that goes: "Instead of following the path that society carved for you, carve one for yourself. It'll be harder, but you'll probably like it more than the one society made." and lived by that for a good year and a half now, and it's true. Why am I making myself be someone or like something that society deems good, when it isn't me? It's pointless, all it'll make me is unhappy. 

Things are changing all the time in my life at the moment. How I speak, expressions that I aquire, expressions I lose, people I talk to frequently whom I didn't talk to at all before, people who I used to talk to all the time whom I never talk to anymore. It's a constant shift in place. 

Here are a few songs that I have loved and downloaded recently:
- I Don't Care - Cheryl Cole
- Ed Sheeran - Don't
- David Guetta - Dangerous
- Calvin Harris ft John Newman - Blame
- Charlie XCX - Break The Rules
- Fade - Lily Ahlberg
- Maroon 5 - Animals
- Ed Sheeran - Thing Out Loud
- W&W ft Blasterjaxx - Rocket
- Ten Walls - Walking With Elephants
- JC Cooper - Colour Me In Gold
- Afasi & Filthy - Bomfalleralla
- Adored By Him - Dodie Clark
- Black Skinhead - Kanye West
- Electric Pow Wow Drum - A Tribe Called Red 
- Eminem ft Sia - Guts Over Fear

I hope that can kind of demonstrate what I mean by diversity in tastes. I haven't heard many new raps recently so I didn't include many.

Aller Kiss,
Matti x


Twitter :) Tumblr :) Bloglovin' :) Instagram :) Vine :) Pinterest :)

You May Also Like

0 comments