Book Review: Children Of The Most High by Anna Scanlon | Matti May Hardie

by - 9:47 PM

Hey all,
Hows you?

I finished reading this book about a week ago and I must say I really enjoyed it. It's about a 16 year-old Amish girl called Rebecca Graber, who gets raped by her boyfriend, Zeke. It's a story, in my opinion, about the after-math of things, which I personally think is a very important point of view to remember. It's not just the event that damages a person it's the after-math of living with it that hurts them too.




It's really well written. You can almost feel the pain, and discontent and almost self-loathing radiating from the pages. 
The rape in itself is fantastically written. It's just enough so that you get the picture but yet not quite enough (that's really badly explained, I don't know if you know what I mean).

However, one thing that kind of irritated me about this book is that there can be long periods of "woe-is-me" and is can be kind of boring after a while.

I loved seeing the relationship blossom between Rebecca and Josh. 

Also, I loved hearing about Rebecca's second thoughts on her religion and her faith, it was really interesting to hear about the thoughts that I'm sure other amish children have. 

Though I do have a bone to pick with Anna: DO YOU ENJOY TORTURING ME?! IS THAT IT?! I nearly died inside when I read the last page. I need to buy the next book, I swear to god, when is it released?!

Bref, really nice book, heavy at times and certainly not chewing gum for the brain, but I still really enjoyed it.

I know I was meant to be on "holiday", but I just couldn't bare the thought of leaving you with nothing.

I'm going to go, because I currently have a Newfoundland puppy gnawing at my feet. (Oh my god, I may squish him!!)

Aller Kiss,
Matti x

Twitter :) Tumblr :) Bloglovin' :) Instagram :) Vine :) Pinterest :)

Stock photos were used in this post

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Thank you so much for the review! Aww...a puppy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, and I swear, he's so cute but his teeth are so sharp!!! xx

    ReplyDelete