The LGBT Tag | Matti May Hardie

by - 1:39 PM

Hey all,

Hows you?

As I have already mentionned (multiple times haha), I am openly a lesbian. I really enjoy talking about LGBT related things and doing my best to educate you guys about it. I found this tag by accident and I really liked it, and it's a good way to talk about my experiances in a little less of a serious way.


Your sexual orientation or gender identity?

I am a lesbian. I identify as female, though I do have gender-fluid tendencies.

Did you have any experiences as a child that might have foreshadowed your sexuality? 

No, not really. I mean, I was always open to the idea of kissing a girl, actually, I actually wanted to try it. I also never understood the concept of homophobia. I didn't understand why someone could be hated for the person they loved.

How old were you when you knew? What was that like for you?
I was probably in my second year of high school when I started getting suspicions, though it wasn't until the end of my third year into my fourth and last year that I was sure. At first it was pretty scary; I went to a very homophobic school and I was scared that everyone would turn against me if I came out. As I learnt to accept it, I was pretty blasé about it really haha. I first came out as bisexual, since I had dated boys and knew I could have feelings for both a boy and a girl, but since I started college I've realised that I'm quite simply lesbian. I have come out previously as bi, but never in a post officially. I didn't feel the need to make a big song and dance about it.

Who was the first person you came out to? Tell the story.
The first person I came out to was my amazing friend, Frances. We were Skyping (as usual) and it kind of just came out. I can't even remember to be honest! All I remember is that she took it really well and didn't really mind.

What are your thoughts regarding inner turmoil about your sexuality; Did you have any? Did it escalate to self-injury or suicidal thoughts?

I know myself what it's like to have inner turmoil because of your sexuality. It's awful, you get scared of the slightest reference to anything LGBT like "DO THEY KNOW?!". Personally, it's never come to self harm or suicidal thoughts though.

Did you face any problems regarding religion?
No, I personally don't identify with a religion so that was never a problem.

How did your parents take it?
My Mum took it really well, as she says "I really don't care what you do in the bedroom. I'll love you no matter what.". My Dad... less well. I'm not going to go into detail but let's just say that a few homophobic things were said that I didn't exactly appreciate.

What does "the closet" or being closeted means to you?
It's where you are before you start accepting your sexuality and being open with it. And it's a terrible thing. I hate that people still, in 2016 feel like they need to hide who they truely are.

What do you think about LGBT Pride? Is it helpful or hurtful? Encouraged or unnecessary? 
LGBT Pride is the best! It's so helpful because it encourages people who are in the closet or in the process of coming out to meet and communicate with other people in the LGBT community and for us all to support each other. 

What does marriage mean to you?
Marriage is the union of two people who love each other enough to be prepared to spend the best of their lives with each other, to love each other uniquely and unconditionally for the rest of their days and even after that.

Your favorite LGBT book (or one you’d like to read)?
I don't have one. I'd love to find one but I haven't actually found one to date.

Your favorite LGBT movie (or one you’d like to see)?
Currently, as a cinematography lover, it's the Anatomy Of A Love Seen. If not, then, just for the feels and pure love for the LGBT community, it has to be Pride.


Your favorite LGBT role model/celebrity?
That would have to be Ruby Rose. Not only is she gorgeous, but she's also so totally herself and I love that. 

Your favorite LGBT song or artist?
Sam Smith. I was so surprised and happy and emosh when I found out he was gay. He's so genuine that you can't help but love him.
Another one that I only recently found out about was Sia. Sia is my favourite singer and I love pretty much everything she does. She doesn't label her sexuality but has already spoken openly about the "flexibility" of her sexuality.

Your favorite LGBT quote?
"As long as you are happy, why does it matter who you fall in love with?"



A picture from your first LGBT relationship or of your first LGBT crush?

Ruby Rose and Cara Delevingne. Saying that, they're still my celebrity crushes, let alone LGBT crushes.

  

Your first experience with an LGBT organization or event (Day of Silence, Pride, etc)?
I haven't had one yet, though I plan on going to Bordeaux Pride 2016 in July with my friend.

Something about the LGBTQ community you don’t understand or have a question about?
What's the deal with Jocks and Twinks and that shit? I heard about it in a Tyler Oakley video but I don't get it at all.

Butch or Femme?
Femme.

Alex or Nicki (from Orange Is The New Black)?
Nicki - she's my queen.

What is a political LGBT issue that is closest to you or affects you most?
Gay marriage probably. It's a huge deal and I just can't fathom why it's not yet legal everywhere. Even if I wasn't bi, it still seems obvious that anyone can marry who they want.

The stupidest argument/comment you’ve heard about gay people or an LGBT issue.
"Sexuality is a choice", "gay people shouldn't be aloud to get married", "gays shouldn't be so obvious about their sexuality - I mean, there're kids watching", "you can't complain about homophobia, you chose to be gay, deal with it".... Need I say more?

The LGBT slur you hate most?
I hate them all. I mean, it's easy to just say "lesbian" or even just generally "gay", so why use slurs names, even if it's innocently? (Let me explain that one. In France, people use slurs innocently but they're the wrong terms. It's not meant to be mean, even though it is, to some LGBT people, offensive). I think faggot is one of the worst ones because of this post on Tumblr that explains where it comes from. That really hit home for me as I had no idea and just made it worse.

Your favorite gay joke? (we all need to laugh at ourselves)
What do you call a gay dentist? A tooth fairy

Your favorite LGBT blog/tumblr/site?
I don't actually have one. I need to find one but I haven't just yet. 

Anything to add?
This is something I've only just understood recently. Trans people aren't gay. What I mean by that is that I was often confused as to why a lot of gay people have relationships with people of the same sex they identify as. That's because, just because they feel male or female, doesn't mean they're attracted the opposite sex. For example, just because a woman identifies as trans-male, that doesn't mean she's necessarily attracted to women. She could very well still be attracted to men still. Saying that, I am generalising, there could be some trans people who are gay/lesbian ect….

I hope you enjoyed this post. It was interesting to write as it actually made me think for once instead of immediately answering the questions like usual with tags. 

If you have any opinions or thoughts on anything I've mentionned in this post, leave a (nice and polite!) comment down below and we can exchange opinions.

Hope you are all well and having a good start to the new year!

Aller Kiss,
Matti x

Twitter :) Instagram :)  Pinterest :) Bloglovin' :)

Stock photos were used in this post

You May Also Like

0 comments