Germany - Day 5 | Matti May Hardie

by - 1:30 PM

On Thursday, we went castle visiting. I was really passive about it at first because, yanno, you see one castle and you've kind of seem then all, right? I was wrong. They were epic. The first one was in a town called Linderhof, and it's one of Louis II of Bavaria's longest residences (basically, he lived there the longest - 8 years to be precise). The story goes that he was obsessed with "Le Roi Soleil" (Louis XIIII (14th)) so modeled this castle kind of in the image of the Chateau de Versailles. THERE WAS SO MUCH GOLD. Sadly (for a reason that is unknown to me) we weren't aloud to take any photos, so I can't show you that, but there's a pretty thing outside of it (no one actually told me what it was, but it was kinda pretty, and I needed SOMETHING). There was also a grotto and it was epic. It was quite a way away from Moosburg, but we got to see these incredible mountains on the journey there. 







That's the outside of a temple thing that was near the first castle.


He had an artificial grotto made. Can we talk about that for a sec? I think that's a new life goal of mine, being rich enough to have an outside temple and an artificial grotto made.



I just want to take a sec to tell you the story of Louis II of Bavaria because when my teacher told me it, I was totally moved. Basically, Louis II was gay but also in love with (and later on friendzoned by) the composer Vagner (if you don't know who Vagner is GO AND BRUSH UP ON YOUR GENERAL KNOWLEDGE) but the family didn't tell anyone, they preferred to pass him off as a crazy person (also so that the people of Bavaria had a reason as to why he kept spending all of the population's money building all these fancy castles). He was then removed from the thrown (what's the word for that? Dethrowned?) and soon after that, he supposedly drowned himself in a lake with his doctor. How depressing is that? Though I do like that he was gay. Yo, he was part of the LGBTQ community!! (Lolz). 

Then we went to another one of Louis II in a town (that I will never be able to pronounce) called Neuschwanstein (just note that I had to get my teacher to spell that out for me haha). This castle was Disney's inspiration for the castle in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (the original one obvs) and just generally the Disney castle. Cool, right? We didn't go in because there's only 3 rooms you can visit, and we didn't have the time, but it was cool to see it since I was a massive Disney fan when I was a kid.



Matti x

You May Also Like

0 comments