My Choice Not To Go To University | Matti May Hardie

by - 6:44 PM

Hey all,
Hows you?

With exam season looming over me like a teacher with no sense of personal space, it's got me thinking about school and decisions and my future - yeah, those thoughts. Mid-summer holidays last year, I figured out what I wanted to do. Hairdressing. To become a hairdresser, I knew that I needed to go to college and that means no university. I was thinking about that, not because I want to go, but because a lot of people have been talking about university, their experiences there and I feel like I haven't seen many people have spoken about not going/why they didn't go.


I've been thinking about things I'm going to miss and stories I won't be able to tell my kids. I feel like so many people's stories start with "when I was in University...", but not only that but the friends that I won't make there. This is starting to sound like the most depressing thing and that I want to go to uni but I can't - that's not the case. If I tried going to university I'd either drop out or kill myself within the first week. I'm not uni material. It's just the fact that I want to have those memories - moving into the halls, flat sharing, the parties, the lifestyle, being able to say "I'm a student" and that sense of independance you get when you drive away from your parent's house, your car packed full of the things you'll need, ready to start your life, even having no money and having to struggle with your student loan and to make ends meet. Even though I know that I'll be much happier
with the decision I've made, but you know when you're mourning for what you can't have and don't want? Or am I the only one?

It's funny really; I've caught myself panicking these past couple of weeks about things like "what if I was meant to meet the love of my life at uni?!" and such. Then I realise that I just need to get over it. I'm not going to uni, it would be a waste of several thousand pounds and 3 three years.

I know I probably have an incredibly rose tinted view of uni, and I know that being a student isn't easy because I've known people through their uni experience, all the work and stress they went through for their degree is really impressive, but I'm very content with my rose tinted glasses on, thank you.

I'm not really sure how to finish this post. Maybe to get a discussion started? Let me know in the comments what your thoughts are on the subject.

Aller Kiss,
Matti x

Twitter :) Tumblr :) Bloglovin' :) Instagram :) Vine :) Pinterest :)

Stock photos were used in this post

You May Also Like

0 comments