Piercings 101 - Nose Piercings | Matti May Hardie

by - 5:19 PM

Hey all,
Hows you?

I don't actually know if I mentionned this on my blog, but my "reward" for having passed my brevet was to get my nose pierced. I got it done in mid-July and I was so freaking obsessed with it! Sadly, the hole has since healed up, which I'm super upset about! So to mourn my late-nose piercing (even though I plan on asking to get it re-pierced for my birthday), I wanted to talk to you guys about the ins and outs of getting your nose piercing.



Needle Or Gun?
If you've had piercings before, you'll know that you have two options when it comes to the actual piercing of the skin. Depending on where it is, it can be either a needle or a gun. For your nose (and most places on your face I think), they'll use a needle. I didn't get a very good look at it when I got it done as I had my eyes closed (I have an acute fear of pain so I was shitting myself during the entire run up to it!), but my Mum, who was with me, said that it's just a long needle. Normally the piercer will ask your which side you want it, draw a dot on with Sharpie so that you can see where it is, then just get it done.

How Painful Is It?
Honestly, I expected it to be more painful that it actually was. There's a little bit of pain as the needle goes through, but then it's gone. I did have a little bit of soreness and stinging after but really it was nothing at all. On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give it a solid 2 1/2 to 3. (Side note: the piercer who did my piercing told me that when you get it done, as the needle goes through your skin, your eye releases 1 tear on the side that you get the piercing done, and that's totally normal and natural so don't worry when you get that, or even if you eyes start watering).

Caring For It
Generally, for piercings, your piercer will get you to buy some disinfectant from the local chemist if they don't sell it at their shop. He didn't, but I just bought some Biseptine antiseptic solution. I don't know whether that's just a french thing but just a good antiseptic should do you, twice a day for a month, no more no less, because it can start to irritate the skin if you do it more, and there's a risk of infection if you do it less.
One thing to remember is that the inside of your piercing is going to be kind of wet for a couple of months, that's totally normal, it's the scarring period, you've just got to wait it out. Don't think that once you don't have to disinfect doesn't mean it's scarred over, oh no, that's what I did and it's a bad move.


Changing The Piercing
So when you first get the piercing, the piercer puts a little stud in. Personally, I wanted a ring, so you can imagine my reaction when I was told I had to put a stud in first. Now let me tell you something first and foremost, during the scarring period, keep the stud in at all costs. Every now and then during the day, just apply a teeny tiny bit of pressure to it to make sure it's not going to fall out (as mine did whilst I was play fighting with my cousin in England - panic is not the word). I want you to be prepared for this - PUTTING A NOSE STUD IN IS FUCKING HARD AND FUCKING PAINFUL. Good, now that's out of the way. What I mean is that a nose stud is called, in official terminology, a corkscrew because it's shaped like a corkscrew. If it does fall out, don't panic, but try to get to a piercer as soon as possible so that they can show you how to put it back in properly because kerfuffle is not the word. If it does come out or you have to touch it a lot, disinfect it. Better be safe than sorry.
When it comes to putting the ring in, you have to wait a good 2/3 months before you're aloud to change the stud to anything else, so sit tight and count the days, haha.

Healing Up
The reason I don't have my nose piercing anymore isn't actually my fault. My then-boyfriend was kissing me, and his nose caught on my piercing. It caught in the wrong way apparently because it started bleeding. I panicked a bit, then took the piercing out to clean it, then realised to my dismay that it had swelled up around the piercing. So I left it out for that night, and then tried the next morning and it was still too swollen for me to put it back in. I left it again and, long story short, it ended up healing up. I was actually really disappointed, and I still am gutted about it now, I freaking loved that nose piercing, it was like my first hack at doing grown up body alterations haha. But in all seriousness, for the first 6 months I'd say, or even a year, just be really careful with it and if you have even a slight doubt, go and see your piercer. It may be a fleeting panic, but generally your gut knows what it's on about and if it's trying to tell you something, listen to it and ask someone.

Price
My piercing cost 35€. I don't know whether it was just the parlour where I went to but on their price board it gave two different prices for a nose piercing: 50€ for a gold and 35€ for the one I had. I think that's right. It'll depend where you go to because obviously prices can vary in different parlours. (Sorry I call them parlours but in France most tattoo parlours do piercings).

Age and Parents Authorisation
In France, you have to be 18 to do pretty much anything. That includes getting a piercing. If you're under 18, you have to have a parent or guardian or person who is over 18 there with you and have their signed consent. I think in England it's 16 (which makes me super jealous). *Clears throat* hello! yes, future Matti here. I checked with a friend of mine who is a total boss at piercings and tattoos and all the minutiae that goes with it, and she told me that it's actually 16, depending on the parlour.

I hope this cleared some things up if any of you are considering getting one.
Sorry about the shoddy photography, I'm ill and my hands are super shaky, but I felt it was only right to post something so I sucked it up anyway.

I'm hoping to make this a bit of a series, since I *should* be getting a taper soon (with a bit of luck), so maybe I'll do a post about them too? I quite enjoyed doing this post!

Aller Kiss,
Matti x

You May Also Like

0 comments