Blogging Tips: How To Make The Media Kit Of Your Dreams

by - 3:02 PM



Today I am going to be sharing my knowledge once again with you guys. Media kits are funny things that are actually quite difficult to do without some sort of guide. It's doable, just it's easier with some sort of template. But what is a media kit? I hear you ask. A media kit is a pdf document that you can send to brands that tells them everything they need to know about you and your blog; what services you provide, your stats and social media platforms, it's basically just jam packed with everything a brand needs to know about you in the shortest space of time.

Most brands (especially bigger brands) don't have time to fuck about reading a 6 page long document with your life story and photos of your dog included. I'd advise making it as short and concise as possible. You can see mine here and here (the second one is the first gen of my media kit to give you an example of another way to present it) so you can get an idea as to what it should probably look like, though the point of a media kit is also to show your originality and personality so make sure to add your personal touches.

Bio

Kind of like a bio on social media, it's always a good idea to introduce yourself and your blog to explain what your blog is about and what you talk about and all that jazz. Be sure to give your name, what subjects you talk about in your blog and it can't hurt to mention how old your blog is either.

A Photo

Again it's in order to personalise the media kit and so the brand has an idea of who they're dealing with.

Blog Banner/Logo

Personally, my blog doesn't really have a logo as such so I just went for my banner. It's a good idea to have it right at the top (if you're using a banner) because it helps start things off in my opinion. It helps say like 'right, this is my banner, welcome to my media kit'... I don't even know, just trust me on this one.

Social Media Stats

I know that social media following is not the be all and end all but from a business point of view, brands look at your social media stats to get an idea of your outreach. They want as many people to see your post as possible in order for it to be worth collaborating with you so make sure to update your stats regularly.

Blog Analytics

Now, I'm not saying you should just put a screenshot of your Google Analytics page on there, generally the main 3 things is your monthly sessions, users and pageviews, which you can find on your Google Analytics page (if you haven't got google analytics set up yet, I'd strongly recomend you do so asap. It's a lot more accurate than the stats page on Blogger or Wordpress or whatever site is hosting your blog). For those who were like me and have no freaking clue what a session, user and pageview is, allow me to explain. A session is the period of time that someone is on your blog. On Google Analytics they show you the number of sessions within the date range you chose. A user is someone who has at least one session within the date range; it includes new and returning visitors. And finally, quite simply pageviews are the number of pages viewed, which counts for repeated views of a page, too.

Demographic

This is equally important, as it shows what kind of person reads your blog. What's good about Google Analytics is that you can see so much info on your audience. Their age, where they come from, what they look at your blog on (OSX, Windows, iOS, Android) and even their browser. You can also obviously see their gender and their age. It's good to show your demographic to show who you're going to be presenting the product to. Bareing in mind that if you're trying to make different types of content, this may hinder you

That's basically all I personally put. Like I said, there's no need to make it a 10 page document, and in my opinion that's all I need to put so that the brand can see the essential.

As always, any fellow bloggers that have some pearls of wisdom to add feel free to in the comments!

Matti x

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Nice post! I find this so interesting as normally when I hear Media Kit, I think it is very daunting and complicated but you made it seem easy to do. I think I might create a media kit in the near future.
    Róisín
    totallyro.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a media kit but it definitely needs updating, thanks for the reminder! xx
    http://blossomofhope.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete