A Very Gay Q&A | Matti May Hardie

by - 2:06 PM

Hey all, how's you?


A gay start to the year is always a good start right? Right. With this in mind, I have gathered a few questions all about being in the LGBT community. Some of these I've pinched from other gay Q&As and some of them are from you lot!

When did you figure out your sexuality?

*sarcastic cackle* if I'm totally honest, I've not figured out my sexuality. But to make things easier and to generalise, I say I'm a lesbian. I started realising that I liked girls when I was about 9, and then I didn't think about it for ages, and then it started creeping back into my brain when I was about 13/14. I don't know, however, if I like girls exclusively or if guys can come into the picture, too. Though right now, I could see myself dating a girl. BLBLBLBL DON'T ASK WHAT'S GOING ON IN MY BRAIN, YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

Do you have any LGBTQ+ icons?

I often struggle to differentiate girl crushes and icons, but I think people that I really look up to would  be Laverne Cox, Ellen (of course!), Tyler Oakley and Cara Delevingne. And, well, Ruby Rose will forever be the love of my life so there’s that…

Have you ever been to a pride parade?

I haven’t, no! I want to go to one really badly so I’m hoping that that’s a thing that’ll happen at one point or another! I think Marion and I may go to one not far from us as a kind of post-exam treat.

Do you ever get sick of stereotypes? 

Constantly! I have a lesbian friend who had long flowy hair and a very feminine style and everyone would say she ‘didn’t look lesbian’ HOW DO YOU LOOK LESBIAN?!

Any favourite LGBT+ films?

Right, so I’ve already discussed this in the LGBT tag a did a while ago, but my 2 favourite LGBT films have to be Anatomy of a Love Story and Pride. These films are amazing! Anatomy Of A Love Story is a much more low budget, indie-type film, but that doesn’t stop it from being totally amazing! It’s about two actresses who are making a film where they’re lovers, and they end up falling in love in real life but break up, and then they have to go back and shoot the love scene again and it’s really fucking angsty and great. Pride is basically on another playing field. It’s got many of my favourite things - it’s an original British film, there’s LGBT everywhere, Bill Nighy, it’s set in the 70/80s and it’s fucking funny. What’s not to love? It’s about a group of gays (and a lesbian) who decide to support a Welsh mining village in Wales. That’s all I can say without spoiling everything, just watch it!

Are you still scared of coming out?

It depends. If I’m coming out to some random person at college then no because I honestly don’t care what they think of me, but I came out to my boss and that was a lot scarier. 

What would you like the world to look like in 5 years time for the LGBT community?

To put into one word - equality. I want people to be able to come out without being afraid. I want trans people to use whatever fucking bathroom they want, I want non-binary genders to be accepted, too, and I want they-them pronouns to be actually used. I want homophobes to realise their hate changes nothing. I want to be able to be whoever I am freely, without being scared of being judged. In an ideal world, I want being LGBT to be a norm, too.


What is the best ways for allies to support LGBT+ people? Especially when they’re first coming out? 

Just accepting them is the best way to support people someone, especially when they're first coming out. Letting them know that you love them and that that doesn't make them weird or different to anyone else.

What would you say is the best way to support someone who is just coming out when you don't have personal experience?

In my opinion, the best way to respond to someone coming out to you is "okay, and just ask how the person is living with it. In my opinion (and depending on the person), just ask them questions. Don't ask dumb questions like "when did you decide you were *insert sexuality here*", but more useful questions like "do your parents know?" and questions where you can gage the person's safety, in case they need your help but don't dare ask you. 
On a more positive note, be happy for them! They're being open about their sexuality with you and that's the first step on the best path they could follow! *vomits down self*

That's all the questions for this time! If you have any other questions don't hesitate to let me know either in the comments or on one (or all) of my social media platforms and I'll be sure to include it in the next one.

Matti x


Facebook • Twitter • Instagram • Pinterest • Bloglovin' 

You May Also Like

0 comments