Remedies For When You're Blogging Ideas Are Inexistant | Matti May Hardie

by - 2:57 PM

Hey all, how's you?



The jobs for my half-term were the following:

- Put classes up to date
- Finish Death Note (I've been watching it for way too long it's not even funny anymore)
- Write a shit ton of blog content

The problem is, of course, the last one. It's always the same thing - when I'm at school, I have a shit-ton of ideas and inspiration for posts, and when I have the time and I can sit down and write content, I HAVE NO IDEAS ANYMORE. It's really impractical, but it happens all the time, so after a while I've found a few things to remedy this.

Also, for some reason, even though I was spouting about how much good content I was going to produce this year, I feel like my motivation for writing blog posts has hit rock bottom, so that's fun.

Take Inspiration From Your Surroundings

It's so simple, yet it works. I mean, this all depends on what kind of blogger you are, but if you're like me and do a lot of lifestyle posts, just look around, listen to what people are talking about, watch/read the news, read a book, go on social media and try and find what people are talking about. This is honestly something I do regularly and helps me a lot. Even your writers block could help (example - this bloody post). Whether your thing is lists or essays or whatever, try and look around and see what's going on in the world.

Read Some Blogs

I know it's easy to tread the line between inspiring yourself from something someone else has written and downright plagiarising someone, but reading stuff other people have written can help. I mean, obviously don't steal people's ideas, but sometimes something someone says will resonate and that'll inspire an entire blog post for you (trust me on that, the number of posts that were inspired by other bloggers is insane).

Take Some Time Out

I know, insanity. What a concept! Missing a post? Never! 
But in all seriousness, it's not always a bad idea to miss out a post now and again when you're feeling a certain lack of ideas. Sometimes that's exactly what you need in order to jog some inspiration.

Brainstorm

This is easier said than done, and definitely takes practise. It took me fucking ages to learn to brainstorm. I know, who knew it was an art form? But really, just get out of your house (i.e coffee shop, park, public library, train station - fucking anywhere where there are people), grab a notebook, a pen (please take an actual notebook. It's not the same as your phone) and a drink and just sit. Look around, doodle, jot down vague ideas, words, anything that comes to mind. Sometimes that really helps to jog some ideas.

Pre-Write Posts

Okay so this isn't something you can do whilst you're struggling, but it's something you can do before-hand. If you're like me and is a stickler for regular posting, when you have a period where you are really motivated, just pre-write or start to write a shit-ton of posts. That way, you can either finish them or polish them off and post them, and no one will be any wiser. It works wonders, I swear.

Write Fake Posts

Of course, there are things that you don't want to talk about on your website. But maybe now and again you'll have an idea for a post about it, but that you know you'll never post it. Write it anyway; not only will you be able to practise your writing style, but often that helps me jog my ideas, too. 

I hope this post helped some of you who may be struggling with writers block. Let me know some of your tips in the comments because I swear I'm taking anything at the moment!


Matti x


Facebook • Twitter • Instagram • Pinterest • Bloglovin' 

You May Also Like

0 comments