Guest Post - Titanic Review | Miss Backwards

by - 1:10 PM

Hey all,
Hows you?

I'm getting a little stressed at the moment because nothing is ready for England and I'm a bit all over the place! Because of this, I'm afraid I haven't been able to get a post ready for today. Because I've got a lovely schedule sorted already and i didn't want to muck it up, I've asked my lovely friend Ellie from TheLifeAndBooksOfMissBackwards if she could be so kind as to write a little guest post for me, and she obliged, she's lovel, isn't she? So without further adu, here's the post, enjoy! Go check out her blog because it's brilliant and I love it. Enjoy!
_____________________________________


“Until the moment she actually sinks, the Titanic is unsinkable.” 
― Julia Hughes, A Ripple in Time - Angel of the Titanic

When Matti asked me to do this post I wondered what to review. For days I toyed with a few films, One Day, Twilight, and many more were on the list. That was until I thought "when in doubt do a classic" so here we are, my review of Titanic. Hopefully you think this review belongs at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean after this! 



Everyone knows the story of Titanic, it's the boat that ended up in two at the bottom of the sea, and James Cameron stuck two complete opposite characters on board orchestrating a beautiful love story, which made sure you were completely transfixed on the idea of Rose (Kate Winslet) and Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) having a future together just in time for the boat to sink! However what I think is clever, is how this love story goes beyond the sinking ship, it carries on even though one of them is gone. 

The film hosts a cast of different characters, some based upon actual Titanic passengers, and some completely fictional. Although the thoughtful and delicate integration of the two is so well done it's hard to tell who was original and who is fictional. A prime example of this is Molly Brow, the infamous 'unsinkable' Molly Brown, a real life passenger on the cruise liner, but also an important character in the film, when seeing the attraction and courtship between Jack and Rose she immediately sets out to help the pair. Due to her being "new money" she still as retained her respect for the lower classes and humanity, traits the rest of the higher classes are portrayed not to have, chuck this in with a sense of humour and you have one of the most underrated characters in film history. Also now is a great time to mention how much some of the actors look like their characters real life counter parts, take the Captain Smith. As you can see a real comparison. 

I love this film, no doubt about it. Not only are the cast extremely talented to take such a massive event in history and deliver it with such majesty that you can really imagine what it was like to be on the ship. This is also when I praise James Cameron for his attention to detail with actors and sets alike, I mean who will forget the staircase "meet me at the clock" scene, that's one to tell the grandchildren. Also this film takes one of my favourite historical events, and immortalises it in such great detail and with an exquisite manner. 
Over at Miss Backwards I thought stars were common, so taking inspiration from one of my founding posts I rate according to origami dragons. Because who doesn't want to be in a shop and go "Oh that got 3 origami dragons" I certainly do! Titanic earns a well received 5 dragons from me, a timeless classic and general masterpiece. 

Thank you to Matti for hosting me, she's been lovely hasn't she? Look at all the biscuits she laid out for us, oh you didn't get one? Matti! 
I hope to see some of you over at Miss Backwards, I love a visitor! Unlike Matti I'm not stingy with the biscuits, plenty to go around. 

Happy Watching,
Ellie

Stock photos were used in this post

You May Also Like

0 comments