Book Review: The Drowning Of Arthur Braxton | Matti May Hardie

by - 6:26 PM

Hey all,
Hows you?

Recently, I read "The Drowning Of Arthur Braxton" by Caroline Smailes, and I want to talk about it.
Can I start off by saying that I blooming loved that book, like really loved it. I read it in 3 days, and normally, it takes me weeks to read books because I'm just so busy with school and my blog and ish. 




For those who don't know what the Drowning Of Arthur Braxton is, let me explain. It's about a boy called Arthur Braxton, a guy who was no friends, his Mum left him and his Dad (who is unemployed and doesn't actually live) 2 years ago, and gets the ish kicked out of him whenever he goes to school because there are rumors that his Dad is gay. When, once again, he finds himself darting away from school as fast as his legs can carry him, he hears a voice, singing. He follows the singing to the local closed down swimming baths, called the Oracle. In the Oracle, he finds a girl in the Males 1st Class Baths, swimming naked. What ensues is something totally magical. I can't say anymore. The book explores the pain and trauma of adolescences, which it does in a very clever way. 
It's branded as a "modern-day fairytale", a label I agree with very much. 

It's so gripping and beautifully written. I must admit, it's kind of hard to follow at times, but power through it and all is explained in the end. Speaking of the end, I love Caroline finishes it.

As an adolescent, I can confirm that it does portray an adolescent very well, and to be honest, I kind of have a crush on Arthur, despite the fact tha he thinks abou sex a little too much for my liking. 

There are some XXX thoughts, but not too much, I would put it at a 13+ rating. Then again, I don't like putting age restrictions on things, as everyone is different.

I will be doing some more book reviews soon as I quite enjoy them
If you've read The Drowning Of Arthur Braxton too, let me know what you think in the comments.


Aller Kiss,
Matti x

Twitter :) Tumblr :) Bloglovin' :) Instagram :) Vine :) Pinterest :)

Stock photos were used in this post

You May Also Like

0 comments