The Aftermath Of Coming Out | Matti May Hardie

by - 6:01 PM

Hey all,
Hows you?

On the 7th of June 2015, I came out as bisexual. I first came out to my friend, Frances, in May, and gradually came out to my little sister, and my best friend. After I came out to my parents, I pretty much totally accepted my sexuality and I'm not even scared of coming out to anyone anymore. They can like it or lump it and to be quite honest with you guys, I don't really care which one they choose.


Something that I didn't expect was that people would ask me how I knew I was bi. My uncle asked me first while I was in England, and it really stumped me. I hadn't really thought about the process before (you will never understand the temptation I had to quote Jenny from Two and A Half Men "Well when you start thinking about women when you masturbate that's a pretty good clue"). I was actually really pleased with the response I got from people like my uncle and my cousin and her husband. They were really open and cool about it and it surprised me.


There are some people who have been a bit dickish about it. I've received a few "I don't think you're bi"s and "but you do have a preference for boys, right?" - urgh, no, people, I don't have a preference for either gender, I'm attracted to EVERYONE. It's not that hard to grasp!

I do feel very blessed and grateful for the fact that I have received very little negativity since my coming out. Shockingly, I received the most negativity from my parents. My dad is a very conventional man. He doesn't like homosexuals to begin with, and he's very much stuck in his own ways, so you can probably guess that he wasn't best pleased that his daugher was bisexual. I got confronted with a "you're too young to know that" and various other patronising, homophobic phrases like that. My mum wasn't exactly please about it either, saying that I was trying to "label myself" and, again, that I was "too young to know about my sexuality" and all that bullshit.

One thing that does come with coming out that isn't as great is that people are paranoid. It makes me laugh, because as much as I try and get people to understand, it's impossible for them to understand that just because I'm bi doesn't mean that I'm going to fall in love with every person that I come across. That's obviously not the case. I'm a human with feelings, it's just that I can have romantic feelings for either gender. Not some robot that falls in love with everyone. And especially not with my best friend of 4 years.


It will, however, be interesting to see how people will react when I go to college. You see, I didn't actually come out to many people when I was in high school. I didn't see the point of telling people I've spoken to once in my 4 years there. But when I start college, I'm going to have to come out to people, and I'm a bit worried about how my roommates will react when I tell them. 

There isn't a conclusion to this post, I guess. Let me know your thoughts on the subject in the comments.

Aller Kiss,
Matti x

Twitter :) Tumblr :) Bloglovin' :) Instagram :) Vine :) Pinterest :)

Stock photos were used in this post

You May Also Like

0 comments